From Matthew Hussey on his website How to get the guy.
Put these traits all together and a girlfriend (at least to me) becomes so sexy – so incredibly attractive – she’s basically irreplaceable:
1. An Intelligent/Beautiful Mind
* A girlfriend with a rich intellectual life, who is engaged in lifelong learning and reads good books for pleasure (think One Hundred Years of Solitude rather than Fifty Shades Of Grey).
* A girlfriend who is genuinely open-minded about new experiences and is capable of changing her opinions, rather than the woman who thinks ‘open-minded’ means ‘believing in everything’, from the power of healing crystals to Dowsing.
* A girlfriend who is a critical thinker and questions everything, embraces doubt, and isn’t dogmatic about her views.
2. Intimacy and Thoughtfulness
* A girlfriend who learns my likes and dislikes and shows that she factors them into her decisions without complaining.
* A girlfriend who will hug me when I’ve been beaten up (emotionally) by everyone else instead of making me feel like less of a man for being vulnerable.
* A girlfriend who will let me hold her when she’s suffering without accusing me of being patronizing.
* A girlfriend who is a problem-solver and works out difficulties together. She doesn’t shut down or hide in moments of conflict.
* A girlfriend who tells me the truth without making me feel judged, and corrects me without making me feel like an inept, hopeless child.
3. Integrity and Rounded Character
* A girlfriend who decides for herself what is important for her mind to focus on, instead of parroting whatever her celebrity-filled twitter feed tells her is big news this week.
* A girlfriend who loves socializing for fun and enjoyment, not because she wants validation and attention.
* A girlfriend who can debate without turning it into an argument.
* A girlfriend who adapts to situations. She can drink beer and play pool, go running together in the park, be elegant and charming at a dinner party, work on our laptops in the evening, and wear sweats and eat pizza when we relax on the weekend.
4. Long-Term Thinker
* A girlfriend who invests in her long-term skills and potential instead of desperately trying to hold onto superficial things through her twenties/thirties/forties.
* A girlfriend who takes pride in being able to take care of her own life, and doesn’t secretly dream someone will come and fix it for her.
* A girlfriend who builds a future she loves, instead of trying to recreate a past that is already behind her.
Dating advice tends to focus a hell of a lot of What To Do, and not much on Who You Are.
Tips and techniques are great – but relationships are really defined by what happens when the initial charm and best intentions of the first dates wear off, when people really start to see what lies behind the self you present to the rest of the world.
Want to keep a guy?
Forget lighting candles and wearing matching underwear. That’s just the neat, glossy cover that surrounds the book. And nice covers are great. They are the icing on the cake. They look impressive when you show them off on your coffee table. It’s much more pleasing to have a book with a beautiful cover than an ugly one.
But it’s the rich content inside that makes you never want to put it down.